Skip to main content

happy St.Pats

Plans for St. Paddy's day
Not getting drunk...call me alternative! Avoiding the center of Amsterdam where there is said to be an estimated 25 to 45,000 Irish descending for the weekend. Maybe wearing my kilt if I'm in the mood, but it does take a long time to get dressed, failing that - some green will be worn! Do go for dinner in a posh local restaurant with some friends and my wife. And..of course I will smoke some University Flake in my St.Pats 105.

I'm often asked what is THE thing for the Irish to do on St.Pats...answer... fly to New York! No city in the world celebrates St.Pats like New York. Paddy's day is a celebration of all things Irish with a strong emphasis on getting completely pissed. I sometimes call it Alcoholics Quilt-Free Day. But on a deeper level it is very much a time for the Irish to connect with home while they're overseas. A phone call will be made, a greeting card received, church attended and if you're in an Irish Regiment anywhere in the world a march around the barrack square with some Brigadier asking you silly questions at the end and then getting very, very drunk!

Ironically people in Ireland don't have to go to mass on Monday, word-up is Sunday's attendance will do for both. The main reasons for this are the Irish are too busy and stressed making money to pay for their over priced homes (no it's not just the USA!) and there aren't enough priests to go around, the latter possibly caused by the fact that there are better prospects of power, wealth and corruption in business and politics these days...and being gay and Irish no longer forces you to move to England or join the priesthood.

Happy Saint Pat's...and just for the record...he was Welsh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P

Some of you may notice that I have deleted a few posts. These in general where some of my more contentious writings with regard to my frustrations being a 'outsider' in the Netherlands. As with most things in life one needs to review and reassess at various stages. Some of these postings generated a healthy amount of comment, but this perhaps is just indicative of how people can more easily relate to critical editorial. The world press is full of such editorial writings. We read such articles on global politics whilst nodding internally in agreement, confirming our belief that we some how understand the complexities of human suffering better than those who actually live in such situations on a daily and all too real bases.

I've decided that should I post a critical comment, then I should always accompany it with a positive one because in reality that is how things are.

In addition, as a man who has worked in advertising for many years I'm all too aware of my 'brand…

An ex-pat I shall always be

I recently visited the ex-pupils Facebook page from my old boarding school. I hope some old chums will post me, however I only resided at the Franciscan secondary school for three years and not the normal full five years so perhaps any imprinted memory may be somewhat vague. I ponder that I've kept moving on for most of my life. I guess I was born an ex-pat, whenever I return to Ireland to visit my parents I get the feeling that I've been here, I've done this. Am I a stone that gathers no moss? I suspect not. It's just that the moss has many coloured hues.

At the age of 16 I realized that remaining in boarding school would stunt my preparation for adult life. By 17 my girlfriend would sleep over, by 18 I knew my future would be founded in work and travel and not taking notes in a lecture hall. At 19 I had grown disillusioned with advertising and commerce and joined the Army. By 20 I was in London. By 24 I had bought my first house and was a junior partner in business. …

What to do on Sunday's

Fr. Leo Nedersticht, now that's a good Dutch name. Whilst busy with preparations for my marriage some ten years ago, I hastily called around looking for a Catholic priest to give a blessing at my civil ceremony. This was met with distain by my first contact, promptly being told by the cleric, "we don't do that sort of thing". An alternative phone number was privided and I was informed, "you need to call Fr. Leo".

"That's the man for me", I thought. A priest with a reputation, I liked him even before we'd met in person. And, he lived up to his reputation. It was a fantastic ceremony with blessings given by both himself and a Buddhist friend, with an equally charismatic civil servant putting on a crowd cheering performance as if not to be outdone by the traditionalists.

We lost contact over the years, as happens, but returned home from vacation to hear his warm voice on the answer machine. He came for lunch a couple of weeks ago, we enjoyed…