Skip to main content

Where now?

I've been busy of late cleaning up my web presence. For my work I help people with their websites, so unfortunately my own web stuff gets neglected. I began this blog to improve my writing, learn more about blogging, show some photography, and communicate with people internationally. Overtime, it became somewhat fragmented.

Perhaps most beneficial, was that it served as therapy, scribbling down my anxieties as an Irishman living amongst Dutch Calvinists. Looking back in black and white helped. So where now? I have a website for my work which includes a blog, I have a youtube channel dedicated to my passion for pipe smoking, and I think I should leave it that way. Like my Dutch brothers, I will segregate and compartmentalize more.

So where does DubintheDam take us now? The title clearly states, "A Dublinman in Amsterdam". That is the narrative. The language of that story has often been too angry, but Dutch society still continues a slippery slide too far right xenophobia. There is more reason than ever, to be pissed. A good friend who shares many of the same insights, says, 'Pearse, you're a really funny guy, you should use your humor more with the Cloggies.'

So I hereby pledge to be funnier, to steer the ship back on course. I will continue to ridicule  xenophobia, as the laughable thing that it is. I will bravely venture into that 'Comedy of Errors' which is Dutch politics. I will assure my fellow ex-pats: 'no you're not going nuts...they really are unbelievable'. I will tell more about Amsterdam which is a great city, about Amsterdamer's too, who are immensely more international than their cousins from the pollder. And I will add more Blarney, lashings of it, promise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P

Some of you may notice that I have deleted a few posts. These in general where some of my more contentious writings with regard to my frustrations being a 'outsider' in the Netherlands. As with most things in life one needs to review and reassess at various stages. Some of these postings generated a healthy amount of comment, but this perhaps is just indicative of how people can more easily relate to critical editorial. The world press is full of such editorial writings. We read such articles on global politics whilst nodding internally in agreement, confirming our belief that we some how understand the complexities of human suffering better than those who actually live in such situations on a daily and all too real bases.

I've decided that should I post a critical comment, then I should always accompany it with a positive one because in reality that is how things are.

In addition, as a man who has worked in advertising for many years I'm all too aware of my 'brand…

An ex-pat I shall always be

I recently visited the ex-pupils Facebook page from my old boarding school. I hope some old chums will post me, however I only resided at the Franciscan secondary school for three years and not the normal full five years so perhaps any imprinted memory may be somewhat vague. I ponder that I've kept moving on for most of my life. I guess I was born an ex-pat, whenever I return to Ireland to visit my parents I get the feeling that I've been here, I've done this. Am I a stone that gathers no moss? I suspect not. It's just that the moss has many coloured hues.

At the age of 16 I realized that remaining in boarding school would stunt my preparation for adult life. By 17 my girlfriend would sleep over, by 18 I knew my future would be founded in work and travel and not taking notes in a lecture hall. At 19 I had grown disillusioned with advertising and commerce and joined the Army. By 20 I was in London. By 24 I had bought my first house and was a junior partner in business. …

"You're not like me..."

Elections loom in the swamp, local elections that is. I will probably vote for the Animal Party or the Greenlinks Party, the third - yet to be decided option - being the Muslim Party! So why would an Irish Buddhist be voting for a Muslim party. Well there has been a huge shift towards the right here in the Netherlands. I believe it stems from a inherent xenophobia which arises from a society where conformity is a golden rule. In order to conform one must know what is normal and what is not normal. Being different is only tolerated if it falls into a 'normal' category of excepted creativity or artist behavior. Unique in western society today the Dutch not only steer well clear of abnormality but they exude great suspicion towards it. A finger will be pointed at anybody who does not fall into a strict Calvinistic version of behavior. This really cuts to the degenerative aspect of Dutch society, it needs to destroy what is not excepted in order to justify it's own dull medioc…